Sunday 24 October 2010

Site Structure, Planning & Information Architecture

This week we discuss key usability considerations – site structure and information architecture. The importance of good web design has cemented the profession of Information Architect. The lecturer’s notes quote an Information Architect to be a person who creates the structure or map of information which allows others to find their personal paths to knowledge. Well, that’s one quote, but the suggestion that the concept is more “holistic” than data based, appeals most to me.

In the last post I discussed how a website development process should be treated like any new product development process.  I am probably guilty of not paying enough attention to the planning process at one time or another, but aren’t all good brand and product marketers at times? There can be too much focus on just producing an end result, rather than the producing the best end result.

So for us brand marketers, if we review the product development process, we start off with the concept. I have made a decision about the broad concept of a website that, based on my own experience, provides travel information and recommendations. OK, sounds awful right, a Trip Advisor written from only one person’s perspective perhaps? Lets say the primary audience though is family and friends, you could maybe describe it as a personal blog that has had the information organized so that it means more to potential users.

The concept will need more detailed development before we move into feasibility.  That means research with the target market. I have asked my contacts on Facebook and Twitter (mostly friends and family) to fill out a survey so I can better understand what might be the best type of content to include.

As the topic of this weeks lecture also suggests, I need to start giving thought to the site information architecture. I have travelled to over 30 country destinations world wide, when you then break that down to cities I am looking at big job ensuring interesting and engaging content.

No comments:

Post a Comment