Saturday 20 November 2010

Mucking around with image galleries

From my perspective (that is, the perspective of someone who is not a designer!), one of the hardest parts is trying to translate what I want my site to look like from my head onto a page. In the case of the image galleries, I am really hoping to magically come across a gallery that looks pretty close to how I want it on my page and borrow it making just a few alterations. 

You wouldn't think it would be that hard! There are dozens out there. One of my objectives is that I would like to keep the coding quite simple so that I can easily understand it and explain it to someone should the need arise.

So simple in terms of my abilities at the stage probably means just a html & CSS gallery so I start by looking for those - the lecturer gave a link to a post from smashing magazine 30 scripts for image galleries. Under CSS based image galleries I came across this really cool, really simple script from cssplay.co.uk that uses unordered lists (simple!) to layer and hide images and then appear as you mouse over. 

Well I managed to get the script to work! Here is evidence I managed to quite easily copy the html and css code and get both the horizontal and vertical versions to work (apologies for not being sophisticated enough to actually put the moving example in! You can go to the script page above to see how it works!):


No comments:

Post a Comment